Winters can mean harsh winds that are brutal for your skin! You can slather lotion on your hands every five minutes and they’ll still cry out for more. Thankfully, this homemade rescue for dry, cracked winter skin will get rid of that itchy feeling once and for all. And because it comes in a ‘bar’ form (rather than messy lotions that can drip or spill at the worst possible moment) you can keep one with you at all times. They’re even great to use on winter-whipped chapped lips!
These fun, practical, and economical lotion bars are also a great homemade gifts. Make several several batches on those overcast days when it’s too cold to venture outside. Then carry an extra homemade lotion bar for dry winter skin with you when you leave the house. The next time someone asks you where they can get one you can easily surprise friends and family.
With only a few ingredients, even novice do-it-yourselfers can master these use skin-saving bars.
For 16 Homemade Lotion Bars You’ll Need:
- Coconut Oil (1 Litre)
- Soy wax pellets (500 ml) you can use either pellets or bars
- Essential Oil/ Fragrance (20–25 ml) Anything you like. My favourite combo is Patchouli and Vanilla (optional)
- A Double boiler (If you don’t have one, don’t panic. You can improvise a double-boiler with a pot and heat-safe bowl)
- A lotion bar mold (Silicon or rubber muffin pan, candy molds also work great. Metal muffin pan can be used too, just remember to use paper muffin liners or you’ll never get the lotion bar out!)
- Spoon or spatula for mixing
How To Make Lotion Bars for Dry Winter Skin
- Clear a workspace in your kitchen and get all your ingredients and utensils together.
- Melt the soy wax in your double boiler, over medium-low heat.
- As the soy wax begins to soften, add the coconut oil and stir gently, using your spatula.
- Once the soy wax/ coconut oil mixture as mostly melted, add in your essential oil if you’re using it.
- Next, pour the soy wax/ coconut oil/ fragrance combo into the molds and put in the refrigerator to cool quickly, or let cool on the counter.
- Once the bars have cooled completely, they’re ready to use.
Relief from dry winter skin has never been so easy!
Once thoroughly cooled and firm, wrap your homemade lotion bars for dry skin with a ribbon or wrap loosely in a piece of reclaimed fabric, and they’re ready to hand out to family and friends to show them you care.